Before spring begins its do-si-do with summer, I wanted to herd my family up to a goat farm to witness baby goat (kid) goodness and participate in a farm tour. I singled out Redwood Hill Farm in Sebastopol – producers of some of my favorite goat cheese.
What was only supposed to be an hour car ride doubled, as my inner GPS and sheer stubbornness made several wrong turns. Thanks to a ‘book on CD’, a patient husband, and entertaining child theatrics, we arrived in good form.
The unexpected happened. This excursion topped the charts as one of the most memorable and enjoyable family adventures we’ve had to date. I kid you not.
10 Excuses to Visit Redwood Hill Farm
1. No excuses needed, really. Baby goats. Outdoors. Community. Cheese. What’s not to love!? It’s an udderly fun country-mouse excursion for any city-mouse family.
2. Essence of barnyard! We all need a whiff for the soul from time to time.
3. An opportunity to picnic in the shade of an apple tree and delight in a much needed down-shift with family, not to mention an opportunity to sample one of the many delectable Redwood Hill Farm cheeses. We inhaled the California Crottin, enjoyed with just-picked cherries from a local farm stand.
4. Spring on display in all its gorgeous glory: blossoming apple orchards, a kaleidoscope of colorful wildflowers, and new life in countless forms.
5. A chance to let your ‘kids’ milk a goat with their own city-bred hands.
6. A live bluegrass performance in an apple orchard.
7. Design your own wildflower-ensconced fairy wand at the craft table.
8. Watch a goat milking demonstration; an opportune time to ask questions about farm life from one of the founding farm family members.
9. Grin from ear-to-ear while surrounded by baby goats. Kids are extremely personable, energetic, entertaining, and they come in an assortment of unique personalities. Diva. Picky eater. Snuggle-bug. Social butterfly…
10. Hug a goat. Brush a goat. Have your hair nibbled on by a goat. Just don’t attempt to leave the property with a goat. They catch you (ahem).
Herd on over to Redwood Hill or a local visitor-friendly farm for a tour. You’re bound to have a goat time! Kidding! So cheesy!
10 Fun Facts About Goat Kids from Redwood Hill Farm.